INDIVIDUAL EXTENSION TO VESTMANN ISLANDS AFTER A TREK OR A TOUR WITH FJALLABAK
At the end of a trip or trekking tour in South Iceland, instead of returning to Reykjavik with your fellow travelers, you have the option of taking the ferry to explore the beautiful archipelago of the Vestmann Islands. Your guide will give you the information as well as the vouchers before your departure for the islands.
Extension can be carried out daily from mid-May to the end of August, except during the following local festivals: (see in Information)
You have the choice between:
- an extension of 3 days / 2 nights in the islands
- an extesnsion of 4 days / 3 nights in the islands
The first day of the post-tour extension begins in the afternoon or evening of the last day of the trek
You have the choice between 3 types of accommodation / breakfast included:
- In guesthouse in twin-bed room with shared bathroom facilities
- In hotel in standard double-twin or single room
- In a hotel in superior double or single room
Please let us know if you want to book this excursion when registering for your trek!
The date of departure for the islands must correspond to the day when your trekking with Fjallabak ends.
Price per person:
Lodging in hôtel with private facilities - breakfasts included
- 68.000 ISK in double room (approx. € 544 / $ 666)
- 75.500 ISK in single room (approx. € 600 / $ 735)
Lodging in guesthouse or B&B with shared facilities - breakfasts included
- 54.000 ISK in double room (approx. € 432 / $ 530)
- 64.000 ISK in single room (approx. € 512 / $ 628)
Lodging in sleeping bag dormitory in youth hostel - breakfasts included
- 43.000 ISK (approx. € 344 / $ 421)
Please book this excursion if possible when registering your trek!
Price / Estimated
To change the indicative price in your prefered currency, choose it from the available list in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
Conversion rates are from the Icelandic National Bank
Day 1: At the end of your trek or tour in southern Iceland, instead of returning to Reykjavík with your companions, you leave them at the port of Landeyjahöfn at the foot of the volcano Eyjafjallajökull on the coast opposite the archipelago. Your guide will give you information as well as vouchers before you leave for the islands.
The crossing takes only 40 minutes. The ferry is passing between the two beautiful tabular islands of Elliðaey and Bjarnarey to reach the port of Heimaey. (If return from some distant treks do not permit to take the last evening ferry, your guide will drop you off at an hotel in a small village of the south coast opposite the islands and the next morning a bus will take you to the pier).
Day 2: Heimaey, the largest and only inhabited island of the archipelago, is dominated by Eldfell, « the mountain of fire », a new volcano whose eruption increased the island’s area by one third and threatened the important fishing harbour in 1973. Take an evening walk on the volcano, still warm! The Islands are home to the largest established colony of Puffins in the world, with about 8 millions of birds (observation until August 15th). It is often possible to admire the great Gannet diving for fish, and if you are lucky, you will catch a glimpse of Killer whales or huge Fin whales. Little cruise around the island of Heimaey depending on weather conditions.
- Optional : Small cruise of approximately 1,5 hour on board MS Viking at 11:00 AM or 03:30 PM from the pear at Heimaey harbour.
The boat tour gives you a look at colorful ocean caves and other islands of Westman Islands, and the lava coastline with its deep bird cliffs. You can observe variety of seabird and occasionally whales. The trip ends by sailing into the Cliff Cave near the harbor, where you will hear the sound of an instrumental music and enjoy the unique acoustic.
Day 3: Embarkation on the ferry Herjólfur to regain the mainland at Landeyjarhöfn. You have the flexibility to choose between schedules.
RETURN TO THE MAINLAND BY FERRY AND BUS (In option: Domestic flight from Reykjavik to Heimaey)
In the morning every day of the week:
- 9:30 a.m. Departure of the ferry from the port of Heimaey
- 10:10 a.m. Arrival at Landeyjarhöfn ferry dock
- 10:25 a.m. Departure of the bus (stræto)
- 12:45 p.m. Arrival at Mjódd, Reykjavík's bus station
In the evening from Monday to Friday:
- 7:30 p.m. Departure of the ferry from the port of Heimaey
- 8:10 p.m. Arrival at Landeyjarhöfn ferry dock
- 8:40 p.m. Bus departure (stræto)
- 10:47 p.m. Arrival at Mjódd, Reykjavík's bus station
In the evening in Saturday and Sunday:
- 4:00 p.m. Departure of the ferryto the mainland
- 4:45 p.m. Arrival at Landeyjarhöfn ferry dock
- 6:00 p.m. Departure of the bus (stræto)
- 8:20 p.m. Arrival at Mjódd, Reykjavík's bus station
Please note: The municipal bus or taxi to reach your hotel from Mjódd (Reykjavik Bus Station) is at your own expense.